Wednesday, October 22, 2008

11 September 2008

The time I felt the tremor at around 3-00 pm I was in the office. After my lunch, I just slipped in to nap in front of my computer; I could clearly feel a slight whirl twice by the time.
My Philippine colleague shouted,
“There is earth quake, hurry up, let us go down”.


Within few minutes all of my office mates rushed out to the plain car parking area and gathered together. By the time I was watching the Business Executives, office staffs, women and men all were worryingly running out from the eight story building, suddenly I remembered about Mohammed Salim, the Pakisthani driver who worked in our office. I recalled that he was suffering from pain on his knee, unable to walk even a little faster. I felt panic and strong guilt feeling because of that nobody cared him when all of us came out from the office. Even I didn’t see him, by the time hurry to go out, might be he was in toilet, kitchen or pray room, I don’t know.


People began to make phone calls to their homes, relatives and friends, immediately the news spread out all over UAE, and I heard somebody saying that it is an after effect, the earth quake has been raised somewhere in Iran.


After ten twenty minutes when situation became normal, all of us started going back to their offices. When I entered to my office, surprisingly I saw Mohammed Salim, sitting on the reception chair, with relaxed mood. I noticed an unusual glow of tranquility on his face which never been seen before, as all the times he seemed to be very arrogant.

Hiding my guiltiness, I asked him, as if I was not aware about his pain on his knee.


“SalimBhai, are you still here? You didn’t go out”?

He Replied calmly.

“Sir, I saw everybody running out, but I cannot run, because of pain on my leg, I just prayed “Oh…Allah’.... he continued… “If there is earth quake or bomb blast, what can I do…either Allah will save my life or even if I die, it is his will, nothing is in my hand”.

In the evening, while I was driving back to my home I was recollecting Mohammed Salim’s thoughtful words.

I said myself, Pappan, shame on you… you also believe in God. You have been mediating regularly, speaking about big Philosophy and Spirituality, but when a minor tremor happened, your mind jerked, you couldn’t even remember your God.


There are many high educated, knowledgeable people live in that building. There might be many Scholars, Wealthy and Healthy people occupy there. Health, Wealth, or any kind of ‘BIG KNOWLEDGE’ is not going to help us, from any disaster or death.


There is difference between Knowledge and Wisdom. Knowledge is inside our head, we can use it for doing business and making money, we can make computers and develop software, and ultimately it is a Data Bank in our Brain.

But “Wisdom” is something else…it is an energy that spontaneously flow from our heart…from our soul, which responds naturally and help us to take right action and guide us on any random critical situation.

That evening, I came to a conclusion; perhaps there is only one “Mohammed Salim” in that Eight Story Building, who has the real “Wisdom”.

3 comments:

Sunil Thekkedath said...

Dear Pappettan,

Its a good piece of Article which opens our eyes to the wisdom which comes out of our higher self.

kartika said...

Hi Pappettan, Yes, I am also eagerly waiting the results of today's election, and praying that Obama wins - it will mean so much to us and to the world and so many people are praying for this. I also heard that in India there are homas going on to remove obstacles to Obama's winning the election - I love that! Also, thank you so much for your kind comments about my art - I think you captured what I am trying to convey exactly but expressing myself through art. I would like to add something beautiful to the world. I will talk to you again after the election! OM Shanti, Kartika

Ash said...

Happy New Year to you and yours! Have a wonderful 2009 :-)